Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Life Lessons from a Turtle

I am beginning to think I should pay attention to this "animal totem" philosophy. Animals pop up in front of me at strange times. After the peacocks randomly popped up in front of me a year ago, I began to read what people had to say about animal totems and their messages.  And again when a bear crossed the road in front of me the day I had visited The Shack with the realtor.  It seemed that there could be messages coming from these birds and animals when they randomly crossed my path.

On Sunday morning, I was driving down the dirt road, beginning my trip back to my apartment.  The road is steep and curvy.  If I had been coming up the hill, I would have never seen the turtle due to the angle. Going down, I saw it clearly. Right in the path of my passenger side wheels.  

I stopped, got out, and watched it as it watched me.  We just looked at each other for the longest time.  I grabbed my camera and took a few photos, before moving him to the side of the road (yes, in the direction he was headed. Even though that side was the steep side of the road and I could not imagine him climbing that bank).



When I arrived back to my teeny apartment, I looked to see what the animal totem folks have to say about a turtle crossing your path.

He is usually giving you the message that "slow and steady wins the race". Pay attention to details in your current project and take your time with it. Don't be tempted to skip steps or take short cuts. You will get there! Just trust in the process and stay in the moment. Bigger, stronger, faster are not always the best ways to reach your goals.

From Whats Your Sign; Animal Symbolism:


Because of its seemingly wide-eyed, long-lived, carefree attitude the turtle is often thought to be the wisest of souls amount the animal kingdom. We would all do well to take this as a lesson and move at our own pace as the turtle does.


Messages perfectly timed for the weekend I had at The Shack. Homesteading won't be easy. It is NOT as easy as some people make it look.  There will always be a mile long list of things that need to be done. Because of that long list of things that need to be done, I felt emotional and anxious during this last visit to The Shack. I felt very strongly as though I had bitten off more than I can chew. 

After receiving a pep talk from a friend who knows me well, and this visit from a turtle, I am feeling more grounded.  Calm and steady, I will try to live with the life lessons from the turtle.

Related Link:

I have not yet read this book, but due to the high ratings and good reviews (542 reviews and 4.7 out of 5 star rating), I plan on purchasing it.  I definitely think there is something more than just chance that sometimes brings wildlife across my path. The people who owned The Shack prior to me had never seen a bear in that area. But a bear crossed my path, immediately in front of my Jeep, the day I saw The Shack and was making my decision about a purchase.  It seems like more than just coincidence. 


Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great & Small

2 comments:

  1. I've long had a deep respect for what our Native Americans considered 'spirit animals' and find it fascinating. I agree that you are receiving 'messages' from the animals you are encountering as you 'break new ground' in your chosen wilderness. Most excellent that you are learning to interpret these messages as they relate to your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I adore animals, I have no problem whatsoever embracing the idea that animals could be messengers. As I was reading your article, I was thinking that turtle was slowing you down for a reason! I had to smile when I read further on that we were in agreement.

    We live in such a fast paced world with so many stresses and struggles. Your shack needs to be your refuge. I hate that you have a list! Any chance you could just through that sucker out the window?

    ReplyDelete