Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Beginnings of a DIY Trellis

Today was a wonderfully productive day.  After spending a large amount of time stalking DIY websites, looking at photographs of what seemed like every type of trellis known to mankind, and then doodling my own ideas, I thought I know what I wanted.  Armed with lumber, hardware, rebar, and a knowledgeable roommate, my trellis project began.

It took about half of the day to assemble the heavy-duty trellis.  We put it together with lag screws and carriage bolts.  I will disassemble it when I'm ready to haul it up to The Shack. 

Of course, I will share the finished and planted project with you. But here is a peek at part of the process.

One of the "ends" -- looking top to bottom

I learned how to drill holes correctly for lag screws and carriage bolts.  I saw that cutting rebar isn't impossible - just A LOT of elbow grease.  I already knew how to use a circular saw. (thank you Dad).

A slight angle at the top/front

One of our many supervisors
I have the site for it chosen. Unless I change my mind yet again, I will place it at the end of my mowed yard. In the photo, it is in front of the Jeep - near the small dark bush.  I think that will be a great spot for a trellis, roses, and grape vines. 

And someday in the distant future, a carved stone bench.




11 comments:

  1. You are really getting knowledgeable with your DIY projects. All part of your upcoming off-the-grid lifestyle! What a great learning experience too. Well done, Dawn Rae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know if it's a good thing to learn this stuff and a dangerous thing. Since working on the trellis, I'm doodling plans for lofts at the Shack!!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I'm impressed. I didn't know there's a certain way to drill for lag bolts. It looks sturdy enough to last forever. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know either. I thought you just drill a small hole to start. Then again, my roommate and his entire family over-engineer everything. But he says... you drill a smaller hole for the length of the lag bolt. Then you drill the same size as the shoulder of the bolt for part of the bolt. He explained why...but it was over my head! :)

      Delete
  3. Making your own trellis is so cool and I am impressed! I did have to laugh at your "supervisor" picture. Any time I work outside, I have several just like that chirping instructions loudly trying hard to out-chirp in other onlookers.

    I am definitely looking forward to seeing pictures in a few months of a gorgeous rose climbing up your diy trellis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a zoom lens on my camera, or I would have shown the photo of the piliated woodpecker that was also watching. Isn't it funny how the yard residents always keep an eye on things? Haha.

      Delete
  4. What a great project! Looking forward to seeing the finished product all installed and looking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great project! Looking forward to seeing the finished product all installed and looking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get it installed and show photos.

      Delete
  6. DIY projects are so rewarding and empowering. I can already envision your garden oasis. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diana. I have received my rose from the Rose Emporium. Thank you again for the tip about that place! I have since begun to learn about how much deer love to eat roses. I may not have planned this out very well.

      Delete