Sunday, April 17, 2016

Bliss and Blisters

What a weekend. It was a wonderful weekend at The Shack.  I went up with the intention of planting the trellis. Unfortunately, that did not happen.  I was reminded that sometimes things happen (or don't happen) for a reason.  I think this was the case this weekend.  

My trellis is not installed. 
But I am not unhappy about it.


The Trellis Fail?


We built a trellis.  A sturdy trellis that I think will look great once it is installed.  It is so sturdy that I was very relieved when my roommate said he'd drive it up in the truck on Friday night. Woohooo!!  I had been ready to try to strap it to my Jeep top, like I do my kayak. But the Kayak weighs only about 40 lbs. A small stack of lumber weighs a good bit more than that. I was very relieved when he said he'd haul it up for me. That means all I'd have to do is dig the holes and re-assemble the trellis.

Saturday morning I started digging the holes.  Rather, I began breaking rocks as I tried to make a holes for the posts.  I had been smart enough to bring a shovel, post-hole diggers, and a pick-ax, but WOW.  I was not prepared.

With blisters already in place, I refused to give up. I sat on the ground as I lifted the chunks of rock from the hole. Eventually, I drove down to town and purchased a digging bar (a heavy bar with a type of chisel on the bottom).  That digging bar helped some. But I still was not going to get four 2' deep holes dug in two days. I began to feel like I was in way over my head. If I couldn't get that stupid trellis in the ground, how in the world could I live a homesteading, off-grid life?!



The Plants


I had transported my two rose plants and a small lilac bush up there.  I had planned on planting the rose bushes with the trellis (Oh, what an overly-optimistic DIY planner I am!).  With all of the rocks, I decided I'd wait for the roses - I could take them back to the apartment for safe keeping. But I would plant the lilac over near the remains of an old apple tree.

Lo and behold, while still very rocky, the digging was easy near the deceased apple tree.  I very easily planted the lilac bush.  




As I sat there, with the big fuzzy bees visiting the tiny purple flowers that grow there, I decided that the stump would be the better area for a flower garden and trellis.  As I sat there, resting, looking down to the opposite end of the yard, I realized that the spot where I was trying to dig was probably one of the old orchard "roads" - causing the rocks to become so packed and difficult to dig.



The Beginnings of a Flower Garden


It was too late in the weekend to plant the trellis - even if the new spot was easier to dig. But I planted that lilac, one rose bush, some lavender plants, lavender seeds, marigold plants, and four gladioli bulbs.  

I made "cages" for the lilac and rose... hoping to protect them from hungry deer. I only had some extra re-bar to use as posts. I need to buy some small posts.

I also impulsively planted a few mammoth sunflower seeds near the wall of The Shack.

I took photographs of a horrendously thorny bush that appears to be some sort of rose bush. Wouldn't that be a hoot if it turns out to be a bush like the one I've been searching for?  I hope to try to identify it with the photos I took with some internet research tonight.



Right before I left, I re-positioned my brand new game camera and hung a bluebird house.

As I tidied the cabin, and washed the dishes on my back deck, I watched a doe and fawn trot down my hill and into my woods.  Then I loaded up the dogs and the climbing rose bush and we headed back to the city.










15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a productive kind of weekend, even though it wasnt' what you had planned.....you still managed to get "stuff" done....Good for you, hope the blisters heal in time for next weekend! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blisters are healing quickly. But it seems that poison ivy is breaking out! haha.

      Delete
  2. Oh how I can relate! Digging holes here is nearly impossible. You accomplished a lot for one weekend. Your oasis is really coming together. What a special garden of delights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It will be such a terribly slow process. But I think it will be wonderful as time goes on.It is already my paradise.

      Delete
  3. You certainly accomplished a lot. You're probably already seeing flowers growing in your mind's eye. I almost went to ER last week for transplanting a few root divisions. I'd like to have a lilac bush. I think I'd better let someone else plant it for me, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! You need to do your gardening in little bits. And take care of yourself. I am completely imagining everything I want in my garden. I may not have enough yard!

      Delete
  4. I always say that sometimes life is bliss and sometimes it's blisters so was intrigued to see that phrase here. Good luck getting it done next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard that phrase. But wow... it really hit me this weekend. I love that we have that in common now.

      Delete
  5. I hear the peacefulness in your "voice," Dawn Rae, as you write about your adventures at the cabin. Can't wait to hear what you find when you return the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear the peacefulness in your "voice," Dawn Rae, as you write about your adventures at the cabin. Can't wait to hear what you find when you return the next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's too quiet and isolated. I have moments of anxiety ...that I've bitten off more than I can chew. But overall, I feel so much peace when I'm there. I'm glad it comes through.

      Delete
  7. I realize you didn't get your DIY trellis planted as planned, but it really does sound like you have a very successful weekend regardless! So sorry to hear about the blisters though. Those turkeys hurt!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blisters are healing up quickly. They sure hurt yesterday though. Wow! Like I said to GrammieO, it seems that poison ivy has broken out! Lets hope it doesn't spread too much. I've brought home a souvenir or two. Blisters and itchy bumps.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like as wonderful weekend, despite the blisters and rocks. Your 'garden' at the shack is coming together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I will just have to keep in mind how slowly things will progress up there. But I definitely can't wait for things to grow.

      Delete