Sunday, November 25, 2018

November at The Shack

Mother Nature: artist extraordinaire 
I took advantage of the long holiday weekend and drove up to The Shack. I had spent some time on Thanksgiving Day with some very special people. And even that was cut short by my migraine. On Friday the dogs and I headed up to my spot on a West Virginia ridge and spent the night. Today, Sunday, I'm back at the apartment. I am behind on chores; laundry, dishes, etc. And I am WAY behind on my paperwork. I have a long list of "to do" things today. 

Recently, work has been beyond busy. Headaches have been constant. I've been trying to stay productive and focused on my goals. Unfortunately, the thing I let slide most is this blog. I have many things I want to share about - just not the creative time and energy to share. And I am concerned that I won't be able to write a coherent sentence. Until I get back into the swing of things, I thought I'd say a quick hello and brief update.

Friday was beautiful weather at The Shack. I buried some acorns that I had gathered previously. I worry about my woods. Many of the mature trees are being pulled down by the invasive vines. I've been slowly but surely hacking away at the vines. But in reality, it is too little - too late for those trees. My plan is to plant new trees to replace the ones that have died. 

I had gathered these acorns from one of my favorite places - acorns that appeared to be sprouting. I brought them up to The Shack with me, dug little holes, and planted them. I have no idea if they'll come up or not. But it won't hurt to try.

While wandering around my woods - gathering dry kindling for the woodstove, I found this delicate little nest. The photo doesn't show how delicate it is. Made entirely of grasses. It is only 2 -3 feet off the ground. I'm going to do some research to see if I figure out what tiny momma raised her babies there.

The bluebirds, who raised their family in my rafters, are still there. One of them perched on a piece of rafter and watched me as I warmed up dinner.

Lunch was a cheese quesadilla on the grill. Dinner was chunks of ham, a can of great northern beans, and a can of split pea soup - left to simmer on the top of the stove. The perfect, easy comfort food for the weather.

Friday night rained and sleeted. We stayed tucked in next to the woodstove. Everything outside froze over during the night. The trees looked like crystals. 

The rain was falling in sheets as I packed up Saturday to head back to the apartment. I had been watching the fog roll up from the valley and over the ridge. If you look very closely, you can see The Shack through the fog. 



I hope you found beauty wherever you spent this weekend. I hope you have many things to be thankful for - not just during this holiday weekend, but through out the entire year. 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you got to spend some holiday time at the 'Shack', Dawn Rae. Although you are braver than me -- I would be petrified driving down a mountain road in the rain, especially after a night of sleet. I once lived in the mountains in SC and it cured me of ever wanting to drive mountain roads again, even in good weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bird nests really are fascinating! Hope you are back in the swing soon and the visit to The Shack was relaxing even w the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how much you value and treasure your peaceful visits to your shack. I'm so glad you had a long weekend so you could enjoy your trip. I know you hated coming back to the grindstone of a work week. And, yes, I do see the shack through the fog!

    ReplyDelete