Sunday, July 17, 2016

Keystone Kabins Park Model - Tiny Home Option


My original plan was to buy my land and make improvements over time.  On my less-than-shoestring budget, that would amount to a long period of time.  But my thinking was to pay as I go and hopefully retire to my little mountain homestead either debt-free or close to it. However, the more time I spend camping at The Shack, the more anxious I am to move there. This weekend I toured several options for housing. I was surprisingly impressed with Keystone Kabins' park models.

(Note: Since the writing of this article, the name of the company has change. It is now Lancaster Log Cabins. Same address, information, and cabin. Different name)


Keystone Kabins - Vacation Cabin Kits


I was originally interested in Keystone Kabins because they make vacation log cabin kits. You can either assemble the kits or have them assembled.  The floor plans and prices are on the Keystone Kabins website.  I liked the rustic look, the options, the small size, and most of all, I liked the prices. Their simplicity keeps the price tag lower than some other cabin builders I've been looking at.

I called to see if there were vacation cabin models onsite that I could tour at the Pennsylvania location. No. No vacation cabin models. But there are "park models".  I decided to go ahead and look even though I wasn't interested in a park model. Frankly, I didn't exactly know what a park model was but I'd go and look. At least I could get a sense of quality.


What are log cabin Park Models.


I've learned that park models are very similar to RVs. Or like Tiny Houses.  They are built on a trailer. They have VIN  numbers and are considered to be a recreational vehicle. Because they are suited for camping only, they are not considered to be mobile homes or permanent living arrangements. 

Originally, I thought there would be no way I'd interested in a home as tiny as the ones shown on the television shows.  I can live very small, but I'm not interested in living THAT tiny. Besides, I'm not very interested in living on wheels again.

However, these park model log cabins had an open feel.  And they were much more solid than I had expected. Later in the day I stopped at a model center to look at some of the modular floor plans I have my eye on, and there were park models there also. Those park models were gorgeous - shiny, fancy, decorated beautifully, and modern.  Visually crisp and clean. But they also smelled of chemicals and felt less solid.  

In contrast, the Keystone Kabins log park models were solid under my feet and smelled only of wood (despite having been recently varnished - or stained. I'm not certain of the correct terminology). The rustic simplicity caught my eye and my imagination.


Good Customer Service Early On


Dan, of Keystone Kabins, had answered my phone call and was very inviting. I don't believe he was scheduled to work that day but had left the additional pamphlets and information where he said he would. In addition, he was present in the office when I checked - just in case. We did not have an appointment.  I was just rolling through as I went from one spot to the next. And frankly, traffic was so horrible that I was running an hour and a half later than I had wanted. But he was there.  

That is more than I can say for another builder who knew I was coming - the builder of the homes I most wanted to see during this trip. I arrived 30 minutes within closing and their office was closed. We did not have an appointment, but they were aware I was coming.  Perhaps they had an emergency that required closing before their posted hours.  Perhaps not.  Either way, it makes me wonder what their customer service will be.  I do not wonder that about Dan with Keystone Kabins. I already feel that he'd be reliable and go above and beyond.


Daydreaming about the Future


I am still completely uncertain about what my final choice will be. However, I'm more able to imagine having a home on wheels to camp in, rather than my little rickety shack. Who knows, maybe I'll opt for one of those slick and shiny park models. Or maybe I'll make more progress than I expect financially and build a stick-built family sized home.  I don't know. But I do know that I'm smitten with these natural, rustic, wooden, tiny log cabins. Clearly, if I choose a park model, it won't be my permanent home. But perhaps I can use it to comfortably camp in for years to come. 

I need to do more research about living so small. And have ordered this book just today. My apartment isn't very much over 400 sq feet, but I do have quite a bit of storage here that I won't have in a park model.


Tiny House Living 

I'm sharing the following photographs that I had taken only to refresh my memory after returning home.  The models were in process and I was not planning on sharing the photos. For better quality photos and more information, please see their website or the Keystone Kabins facebook page.

Meanwhile:
















16 comments:

  1. And the adventure continues! Wow, I had no idea you'd have so many choices when it came down to permanent (or maybe more mobile than permanent) living arrangements. Headed over to the Keystone Kabins website to see what I can see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea there would be so many choices either. It somewhat makes the decision-making even more difficult. But I always have enjoyed looking at homes... so I really enjoy touring these models.

      Delete
  2. It does look very pretty! I can see why you like the park model even if it is on wheels. I also understand why storage is so important to you when you retire. These kind of kits do have a definite appeal! I'm looking forward to seeing your final selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a hard decision...so many choices. It's very hard to try to determine the "Right" choice when there is such a variety. But these cabins are so cute.

      Delete
  3. Either the Keystone Kabin or the Park Model are a big upgrade from your current little 'shack'. I can see why you are considering one of these. Can't wait to see what you decide for your future retirement home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, you are not just whistling dixie! My poor poor shack is barely better than a big cardboard box. However, one of the cons to "smaller" living would be that my current woodstove would not fit. I love that wood heat when the wind is blowing up there.

      Delete
  4. What beautiful interior work, love the photos and good luck in your choice!!! Can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I change my mind about what to do every two seconds... almost literally. The good news is, I have awhile to daydream while I continue to get finances caught up to the daydreams.

      Delete
  5. Wow, oh wow. These look amazing. What are they like in the winter? I think I could do this and unload a lot of "stuff" in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what they'll be like in the winter. They are for "vacations" instead of permanent homes because they aren't as fully insulated as a home. However, ANYTHING has got to be warmer than my plywood shack.

      Delete
  6. I love these cabins! And I love that you are on the move with your adventure! You are working toward making your dream come true and for that I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It will be slow going. And I want it to happen NOW... but I do feel like I'm making progress.

      Delete
  7. Wow that's a beautiful cabin! Sometimes I wish we went with a kit...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that's a beautiful cabin! Sometimes I wish we went with a kit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still undecided about what to do. If you are Kelli from instagram... I'm jealous of your floor that is started...and second-guess everything I'm thinking... and think about building. So many decisions to make.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete